Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Any dream will do



Hi fam,

Sorry for the delay on the long anticipated weekly letter (I know you must have all been very disappointed). Our district meeting was rescheduled for Tuesday.
Anyway, what have i got to tell you all this week?....The truth is that this week was quite entertaining in that we managed to tract into several special individuals (i.e. apparently all of the crazy people live in the other sisters' side of the area in which we now work). Let me illustrate:

We contacted an oldish man in front of his house and he kindly invited us in to talk about the gospel. He told us he had had a dream the night before that a tall white gringa and a small "moreñita" (google it) came to teach him at his house. This really isn't all that rare as most Panamanians claim to have dreams that predict the future. We just went with it and sat down on his porch. We asked him if he'd like to listen to us sing a hymn and he said no--that those types of things only really sounded good when there were a bunch of people singing. He also added that he had heard that gringos didn't sing very well in Spanish and that he didn't want us to scare his dog. I was completely amused by this but Hna. Aguero was apparently offended in my behalf because she whipped out her hymn book and said, "Well, hermano, we're going to prove that that's not the case." She then looked at me expectantly as if to say, "Give it your best on this one" and we sang "Te damos Señor nuestras gracias". It was the only time I've sung in front of Panamanians and felt pressure to sound really good. I think I added a little bit of vibrato to some parts just for emphasis. At the end, our investigator nodded his head and said, "well now that was too beautiful for just me to listen to."
In the end, he didn't want to accept what we taught, but at least we convinced him that we could sing. Perhaps some day he will remember that.

On the topic of singing, I was overjoyed by the opportunity to practice with the branch choir this weekend as I got to sing alto for the first time in ages. We ended up singing in sacrament meeting and i have to say, it sounded nice.
I've thought a lot about the ironies of my mission: the little girl who never liked to sing in front of people or even eat fried eggs because she was terrified of cholesterol now lives to sing in front of complete strangers all the time and eats about the most greasy, unhealthy food you could imagine. And did I mention that I've lived with vermin? So I don't want anymore of you giving me the "is this water sanitary?" line any more, got it? :)

The point: I am so thankful for this mission. It hasn't been everything I'd expected but it's been a lot more than what I imagined. And yes, the church is still true.

love you all and happy Easter!

love,
Hna. Brewster

No comments:

Post a Comment