Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ai, yi, yi, yi...canta y no llores



Hello my dear family,

Happy Late: Valentine's Day (finally got all the cards and letters from friends and fam. You are all amazing, thank you!), St. Patrick's Day and Mom's Birthday! It was quite the celebratory week.

I learned a pretty big lesson this week: people never cease to surprise you. We made a decision to focus on finding new investigators to teach because for the past few weeks, all of the people whom we've visited and taught repeatedly with all our heart and soul simply have not made any steps toward progression. It's been a bit of a rough road and it wasn't easy letting these people go after investing so much in helping them better their lives, but in the end we know we need to focus on finding those who truly want to accept the gospel and not just listen to a nice story about Jesus.

We were working in an area called Punta Delgadita throughout this whole week and I have to admit that after several letdowns, I was starting to get a bit discouraged. If there really are people who are being prepared to receive us, where the heck are they?? On Wednesday we tracted into two young sisters, Joanna and Magdieth. We knocked on their door and they invited us in to share with them a bit about our message. Joanna was busy dyeing Magdieth´s hair at the time but she seemed pretty interested in what we had to say. Magdieth sort of stared off into space, so I didn't think we were making any impact on her. We left them a pamphelet and made an appointment to come back the next day to teach them more thoroughly about the restoration and Joanna very happily accepted. The next day happened to be a long, unfruitful one contacting in the streets and when we got to their house, we found Magdieth alone with her little baby boy (Magdieth is a 17'year old single mother) and she told us that Joanna was sick with a headache. Figuring that this young little teenage mom who paid no attention whatsoever the first time couldn't possibly want to listen to us, I quickly asked her if we could come back the next day when Joanna was feeling better. As I started to write the appointment down in my agenda, Magdieth said, "I read your little booklet you left."
me: "You...what?"
Magdieth: "Yeah. And I answered the questions, too."
I didn't know what she was talking about until she pulled out the pamphlet we left and a notebook that answered all the questions that were written in the "additional study" page on the back. Not only had she read it, she'd done the homework--and we didn't even ask her to (which is a bad missionary move). She'd understood it perfectly and was eager to learn more about prophets, joseph smith and the book of mormon. I think I really went into shock for a minute there. We met her pierced, black'haired boyfriend the next day and once again I thought, "Nope. He doesn't want anything." Wrong again. At the end of the lesson (a very good one, I might add) he told us he wanted to read the entire book of mormon--in a week. I don't know if I really believe it yet, but we'll see in the next email I send you all what comes of this...
The point: People surprise you!

Hope you all have a lovely week.

love you!
Hna. Brewster

No comments:

Post a Comment