Monday, September 13, 2010

Tarantulas in the shower and other things



(letter from September 6)
¡Bueeeeeeenos Dias, Familia!

I hope you all are enjoying your Labor Day weekend (I´m assuming that´s still today, unless I miss my guess.) I just want to say quickly: Happy 34th Angie and Happy 36 years of marital bliss to los padres! Big weekend for the fam.

So as far as things here go, yes, as the subject line states, one of the biggest adventures of the past week was encountering a tarantula in the shower a few nights ago. To my credit, I did not scream. I did, however, dart quickly out of the bathroom and to my companion, who was on the phone, I made the internationl ´there´s-a-giant-man-eating-spider-in-our-shower sign. Bless her fearless heart, she goes in there with a shoe, I hear WHACK-WHACK-WHACK and she says, ¨Muerto.¨ That almost put me off showers for life here, but not quite. In fact, I actually cleaned out the shower after that and removed the dead spider by myself. This, to me, was a major turning point in my life. Thus I dedicated an entire paragraph to the experience. I hope you´re all impressed. I won´t be waking you up in the middle of the night to come kill a spider in my room anymore, Dad. I think I´ve finally overcome my fear. Now I know why the Lord sent me to Panama :). It´s a symbolic thing, really. We need to overcome the ¨tarantulas¨of life. Mine just happen to be real tarantulas. (¨For some, speaking in public might be our El Guapo...for us, El Guapo is a big ugly guy who wants to kill us...¨ I had to throw that in there.)

Anywho, back to mission-related stuff...this week was the last of our transfer. I can´t believe I´ve already completed 12 weeks here in good ol´David. I don´t know if they´ll send me to a new area or not, but I did find out that I will have a new companion. Whether that means I stay or go, I´m not sure, but changes are definitely going to happen. I would love to stay, in all honesty. I love the area here and the ward members really do feel like family to me.

Speaking of the ward members, one of the girls in our ward, Vivianna, is leaving for her mission to Ecuador in two weeks and this past weekend they had a ¨Maleta Abierta¨for her--a sort of farewell party where people bring things to fill the suitcase of outgoing missionaries. There are songs, cake and comments from friends and family. It´s fun. Since Vivianna´s been a good friend of ours and helped us go out to teach a lot, we did a special musical number together called ¨Cuando Regrese con Honor¨ (it´s actually a Jance Kapp Perry song that´s been translated in Spanish). The thing I love about singing here in Central America is that it doesn´t matter how well you sing, it only matters how LOUDLY you sing. Every Sunday is a lot of fun for me :). Sometimes I have to listen to cds of MoTab to remind myself how the hymns really go...

The good news is that I finally made a cd of all the pictures I have so far, which I´ll be sending to Mom and Dad and they can then share them with yáll. There aren´t too many but that´s because my camera´s memory´s not so great. I´m looking for a new one.

Anyway...yesterday we had 7 investigators show up out of the blue to church. This always happens on my last Sunday of the transfer. Not sure why. We´ve got plenty of work to do here, so here´s hoping I get another 6 weeks to do it in dear little David. If not, well, there´s work in other areas too. Venga lo que venga, voy a disfrutarlo.

Les quiero mucho,
Hna. Brewster

No comments:

Post a Comment