Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Spanish is taking over

Sent February 23, 2010

FAMILIA!

Como estan? (i am not using the proper accentuation, but oh well. this keyboard is no muy bueno.)

Well let me just quickly give another plug for dearelder.com as a way of sending me letters because though i thoroughly enjoy reading all of your emails, it ate up 10 minutes of my writing time today, so DEARELDER.COM! I'll get the letters same day.

Well Fam, this has been a pretty big week for me. On Sunday I participated in a musical number for the ENTIRE Relief Society--it was a pretty big deal. I, your daughter/sister/aunt/whatever, was the official PAGE-TURNER for my amazingly talented companion on the piano. Yes. Be proud. I did a good job. Two whole pages. And Janice Kapp Perry was the guest speaker that day and I know I wowed her with my amazing page-turning capabilities. (I really hate this keyboard...)

Also, on Sunday I was called upon to speak in our zone sacrament meeting. here's how it works: every week we are given a topic that we prepare a 5-minute talk IN SPANISH about. This week's was "learning through faith." They don't announce who's speaking until sacrament meeting starts, so you don't know beforehand if you're speaking. well guess who the lucky winner was Sunday? THIS HERMANA. It was an interesting experience. I'm not entirely sure it was grammatically correct, but what made me feel good was that people told me my personality still comes through in Spanish :). Good sign, eh?

We've started teaching lessons in Spanish too and i have to say that i prefer it to English. It's so much easier to be simple and to the point in a language where you're limited by your vocab.

Anywho, I am still loving it here. Sorry if you're sick of hearing that, but that's my continual feeling. One month from today i will be in PANAMA! It's sort of bittersweet, though, because i do really love the people here. But of course I'll love the people in Panama too.

We've really been focusing on developing charity for this past week as a zone and i can tell you that i've seen some pretty amazing examples of it here. Last week one of our Hermanas was having a pretty crummy day. At dinner she was standing at the end of the line and refused to move to the head (which is something the mtc pres said elders should allow sisters to do). Well one elder who had just finished getting his meal walked up to her and said, "Sister, since you won't move to the front of the line, here--take my tray." Then he handed her his food and hopped right back into line again. It was a really simple thing but I think it profoundly impacted her entire week. I know it impacted mine. I'm so proud of that Elder! Doesn't take too much to be a disciple of Christ.

I have to say that I love forgetting about myself (which sounds selfish...hmm..what a paradox...). But that's the emphasis here. I can't wait until I get to actually teach real live people (who haven't heard the gospel before, of course...we practice on people who have). I know i've said that before.

(Sorry for the many typographical errors but as I said, this keyboard is truly testing my patience this very early tuesday morning. Satan starts early.)

One of these days i'll write entirely in Spanish or something. We'll see :).

Keep sending me news and PICTURES, POR FAVOR! I love hearing from all of you (remember dearelder.com).

Thanks for the prayers! I love you all.

love,

Hna. Allison Brewster

p.s. please forward to friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment