Monday, July 11, 2011

Gettin' married in Panama

Dear Family,

Admit it. The subject line had you curious. "´´ Getting married in Panama´.....is she serious?" Well, I am. But I am not referring to myself. I refer to the fact that the family I mentioned in my last letter, la flia. Barría, is currently in the process of getting married so that we can go through with Hna. Francia's baptism this month. Yes, that's right. SHE HAS A BAPTISMAL DATE! She's been coming to church and yesterday she brought her son Elias with her, so we are definitely shooting for a July baptism. It was originally for the 24th but I think it'll end up being the 31st because getting people married is a pain in Panama. A PAIN. We made a run to the courthouse this morning to figure out exactly what we need to put together to get this marriage finalized ASAP. I have already made up my mind that I will not leave Panama until Hna. Francia is confirmed a member of the church. It's my dying wish, really. So please, if you could, include her and her family in your prayers. Really, for me this would be the miracle I've been looking for my whole mission long.

Just one month left and far from being trunky I am working twice as hard as I ever worked before. I think I'll be crawling off that plane because I plan to have nothing left at the end of all of this. My ¨hija¨ Hna. Rodriguez is learning fast and I'm doing my best to help her learn to enjoy the mission and work hard. It's kind of funny being at this point and be able to see the two different perspectives: the newbie and the oldie. When I think about all that's ahead of her it just makes me smile, really. She's in for a while ride but it's going to be the time of her life.

Last night we had a somewhat frustrating lesson with Jeannette's dad (the girl who got baptized two weeks ago). He's a very learned man who knows the Bible in and out, so you can imagine it wasn't easy trying to get him to accept that God had MORE to say. I've dealt with doubtful, combative people my whole mission long and yet I still fail to comprehend why people don't want to accept the gospel. It's almost like they try to disprove it. For me, I like the fact that there are so many promises for blessings beyond our wildest dreams and I choose to believe in it because it makes me happier and makes life more fulfilling. But...agency. There's that word again. Cursed double edged sword...

Anywho, I won't have much of a nose left by the end of all of this since I'm sticking it to that grindstone and all, but I will have some good things to tell you all. I'm sure of it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BEN, RYAN AND ANNIE THIS WEEK! (and the rest of the family, pretty much...)

love you,
Hna. Brewster

No comments:

Post a Comment