Monday, April 26, 2010

Catching up

Hey Fam!
Happy Easter plus 1! I hope you all enjoyed it. Mine was really interesting, it being the first one away from home and all. We had a citywide power outage last night while Hna. Tracy and I were walking home and it was pitch black. Pretty exciting. I laughed at our Easter feast: the remaining 6 Hershey´s kisses Katie sent me at the mtc, which we enjoyed by candlelight (due to the lack of power and whatnot). It was hilarious--definitely a memory I won´t soon forget :)
Okay, first off, CONGRATULATIONS Katie and Dave on your gorgeous baby girl! Taylor Lynne looks absolutely adorable and I´m excited to meet her in about 15 or so months. Just tell her who her favorite aunt is so she knows, all right? I´m so happy for you! The fam is definitely growing. I hope I know most of you by the time I get home.
I don´t know about you all, but I absolutely loved Conference this weekend. Luckily for me I got to listen to it in English with the other gringo missionaries. It was funny though--this was the first time I felt like I wasn´t listening to Conference for me. I felt more like I was just going to be a messenger of everything I learned because everything the prophets spoke about (FAMILIES) applied so strongly to the people I´m teaching. And to me too, I suppose. I´m preparing to be a mom myself someday. One of our investigators came with us to the Saturday morning session and she got really teary during Elder Ballard´s talk about mothers and daughters. I think it really touched her.
I had my first interview with President Madrigal this past week! I absolutely love him. He doesn´t speak a lick of English, so the interview was pretty interesting. He asked me what some of my trials had been so far and I just told him I needed to stop worrying about myself and focus on teaching and loving the people. He wholeheartedly agreed and gave me some great advice. We talked a bit about the necessity of trials and overcoming adversity and how that´s what ultimately brings us closer to the Savior. I´ve only been here for 2 weeks but I couldn´t agree more. I´m learning more and more how difficult the mission really is because you have such a great responsibility. I´ve never felt more emotionally exhausted in my life! One minute we´re ecstatic about an investigator who´s keeping commitments and the next thing we know a different one has serious family issues. And there are so many people that we´re teaching right now, so I feel like my emotions are all over the place.
But one thing I´ve learned is that the Lord will occasionally just throw me a bone. I was writing in my journal, sitting by the phone the other night when it rings. My comp was in the shower, so I timidly answered it. And I heard a familiar voice: my dear mtc companion, hna. graham! She was just calling to see how I was doing and said shéd been thinking about me. We chatted for just 2 minutes or so but that made my week like nothing else. I really needed that.
Anyway, the Lord truly throws us those tender mercies. Remember that, fam!
gotta go...almost out of time.
love you

No comments:

Post a Comment